Monday 21 December 2020

Nano Girl | Xylophones

 In this activity for the summer learning journey we had to make 2 xylophones. I created one xylophone using a glass cup and water and the second using paper and tape.

For the first xylophone I used 3 cups. Then I poured different amounts of water into the glass to make  different pitches. A pitch is the vibration from the cup which makes the sound.  

How much water you have, depends on how much glass can vibrate. Like if the glass of cup is halfway fulled of water it makes a low pitch, but if there is a small amount of glass it make a high pitch sound. Lastly, I tested my xylophone using a pencil, by gently tapping the glass.

For the second and last xylophone I made was used out of paper and tape. To make the xylophone I used 5 sheets of paper. Afterwards I rolled the paper into a tube, then used tape to secure the paper from it opening. I had to cut the tubes smaller and smaller from each other to make the different pitches. Similar to what I did on the first xylophone. If you have a long tube it would most likely make a low pitch sound. If you have a short tube you most like to get a high pitch sound.

Here is me using my xylophones:

3 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe Siale

    Benjamin here from the SLJ commenting team.

    I’m so sad. I’m so sad that your video didn’t go on for longer! You were making some vibrant sounds there my friend, I wished I could have listened to a whole concert of you on your xylophone!

    Do you play any other instruments?

    Keep up the good work e hoa!

    Mā te wā

    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Benjamin,

    I play the guitar and drums. I find music so fun and entertaining. One of my favourite musician is Elvis Presley. Who is your favourite musician?

    Thank you for your positive feed back.

    Siale

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Siale

    I play the guitar and drums too! And I'm learning to sing as well but I find it hard. But hard work will get me there :). Elvis Presley, very old school of you Siale. One of my favourite musicians is Stevie Wonder, there are so many others though.

    Take care,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.